November 13, 2023
Yulia Movsesova was enrolled at AIS-Salzburg from September, 2014 through May, 2016 for her junior and senior years. In deciding to enroll at AIS-Salzburg, she was searching for an alternative approach to learning and secondary education while enjoying an international experience. She graduated as one of the top students in her class, was an active member of the community, and was a major part of the success of the girls’ volleyball team which won the DVAC championship in both years she was on the team.
In the interview below, Yulia shares with us her experience at AIS-Salzburg and her life since graduation.
AIS-Salzburg: What are your fondest memories of your time at AIS-Salzburg?
Yulia: Being part of the volleyball varsity team was an incredible experience. Traveling to championships in places like Budapest, Hungary and Lausanne, Switzerland was not only exciting but also a great opportunity to compete with other schools. Winning the DVAC tournament in both seasons I participated in remains a cherished and proud memory.
Moreover, many of my fondest memories are associated with spending time with my friend Polina after classes.
Photo: Yulia (number 7), was a starting outside hitter for the varsity lions volleyball team that won the DVAC championship in the fall of 2014 and 2015.
AIS-Salzburg: Were there any teachers who made a major positive impact on your life?
Yulia: AP German class with Mr. Agardy inspired me to improve my language skills. Before his class, I struggled with German, but his guidance and method of teaching motivated me to enhance my proficiency. After graduating, I made the decision to move to Vienna, take the B2 exam, and pursue studies in German. This was a pivotal moment for me, as it led to my choice to continue living in German-speaking countries, ultimately leading me to my current role at a German university.
While studying at AIS-Salzburg, I wrote a few academic papers, including the senior paper, and I discovered that writing is one of my strengths! Learning how to craft academic works significantly contributed to my success at the university level – I had fun writing my bachelor’s and master’s thesis and other works. Moreover, this love for writing has guided me toward a career as a content creator and marketing professional.
AIS-Salzburg: What have you done academically and professionally since graduating from AIS-Salzburg?
Yulia: Since graduating, I obtained my Bachelor of Science in International Business and my Master of Science in International Management with a major in International Marketing. I have worked across diverse fields such as marketing, communications, and sales, gaining practical experience in these sectors. I have also engaged extensively in volunteer activities during and after my studies, contributing to various causes and organizations.
Photo: Class of 2016 with Yulia in the second to last row, just right of the center.
AIS-Salzburg: Are there any personal, academic, or professional accomplishments since graduating that you want to share?
Yulia: Since graduating, I’ve been fortunate to achieve several personal and professional milestones. After completing my university education, I found myself missing the academic environment and wanting to continue my journey in the education sector.
Currently, I am a Program Coordinator at TUM – Technical University of Munich, widely regarded as the leading university in Germany and the EU, earning its esteemed position according to the prestigious “Times Higher Education” (THE) ranking. Globally, TUM holds an impressive 30th place in the worldwide rankings. I take immense pride in being part of the TUM family and contributing to student success right in the heart of Munich!
AIS-Salzburg: What aspects of your education at AIS-Salzburg best assisted you in further academics, your professional life, and/or life in general?
Yulia: After completing my studies at AIS-S in 2016, I had a desire to pursue further education within an international and multicultural environment, as it had become a part of my identity. I am grateful to have experienced the diverse and dynamic setting at AIS-S.
Studying at AIS-S has improved my English and German language skills, moreover, I have learned the basics of Spanish, and I have developed a love for languages in general (last year, I started learning Japanese, which is a very exciting journey for me!). Mastering multiple foreign languages has undeniably unlocked various opportunities for me, impacting both my professional career and personal life significantly.
Photo: The girls volleyball team in Budapest, fall of 2016.
AIS-Salzburg: Do you have any advice for students at AIS-Salzburg or applicants to the school?
- Travel. As a student in an international school, exploring new places and learning different languages is invaluable. When considering future opportunities for pursuing a bachelor’s degree abroad, getting acquainted with various countries beforehand makes decision-making easier. Travel broadens horizons and fosters cultural awareness in preparation for studying in a new location.
- Network. Upon starting university studies, you’ll swiftly recognize the significance of networking. Establishing connections will help you integrate into the new environment.
- Engage in volunteer initiatives: Participating in volunteer projects offers an excellent platform for acquiring new skills, expanding networks, and enhancing your CV. This experience not only contributes to personal and professional growth but also proves beneficial when pursuing bachelor studies and seeking internships in the future.
- Nurture meaningful friendships. While many students may lose touch over time, the school environment presents a prime opportunity to forge lasting connections. Establishing true friendships is possible; for instance, I’ve been fortunate to maintain a friendship with an AIS-S alum for over nine years, despite living in different countries.
- Appreciate Salzburg’s natural beauty. Having resided in Salzburg, I fell in love with the scenery, and I am often travelling to visit my old “home” and its suburbs to enjoy the nature. I strongly advise making the most of the school-organized trips, activities, and cultural events. Residing in such an exquisite city is a privilege that should be fully embraced and enjoyed.