As an international, college-preparatory boarding school in which roughly 85% of the students enrolled are full-boarders, the academic load requirements at AIS-Salzburg are relatively high. Load requirements determine the number of courses and subjects a student must be enrolled in each academic year.
The load requirements for all students in the school require:
1. enrollment in 30.5 hours of classroom instruction per week.
2. enrollment in two English and one German language course daily.
3. enrollment in one mathematics, one science, and one social studies course per day.
4. enrollment in one elective course which meets two hours per week.
5. enrollment in the Healthy Lifestyle Requirement.
6. enrollment in the Boarding Conduct Requirement for all boarding and 5-day boarding students.
7. enrollment in one seminar course at the appropriate grade level.
In order to gain promotion to the successive grade level, all high school students (in grades 9 through 12) must:
1. attain a cumulative grade-point average of 1.500 minimally in all courses (link
2. not fail more than one credit-bearing course for the year.
3. meet the school’s minimum attendance requirement.
4. maintain a positive citizenship record which includes passing the Boarding Conduct Requirement with a minimum grade of 60% and have no major violations of the school’s academic integrity policy.